GREATER STYLE, TECHNOLOGY AND FUEL ECONOMY, LESSER WEIGHT, EMISSIONS AND PRICES: RENAULT AIMS HIGH WITH FOURTH-GENERATION CLIO
- Fourth-generation Clio – better to drive and own. Sleek new design with coupé-profile and practicality of a 5-door, gives sporty stance – wider, longer (inc. wheelbase) and lower, yet lighter (on average 100kg less)
- Range priced £10,595 to £16,095. New five-door only versions are priced between current 3- and 5-door. New Expression+ costs £230 less than today, with even more equipment
- Four trim levels: Expression, Expression+, Dynamique MediaNav and Dynamique S MediaNav. Core seller likely to be Dynamique MediaNav. New GT Line with TCe 120 EDC (Efficient Dual Clutch) to follow in 2013
- New ECO versions in Expression+ and Dynamique MediaNav trim levels
- Pricing for Clio Renaultsport 200 Turbo to be announced in February 2013, ahead of early summer showroom launch
- Standard equipment includes: driver/passenger/side and curtain airbags, Bass Reflex speaker system, electric front windows and door mirrors, Bluetooth radio with USB port and jack socket, ESC (Electronic Stability Control) and ETC (Electronic Traction Control), folding front passenger seat, Hill Start Assist, keyless entry and ignition, 7” touchscreen MediaNav infotainment system with integrated navigation (Dynamique MediaNav and above)
- Wide range of new options from classes above, such as: panoramic fixed glass sunroof, rear parking camera, R-Link system including apps. Extensive range of personalisation touches inside and out
- Greater fuel economy, lesser emissions. Two new engines debut. 0.9 TCe 90 and 1.5 dCi 90 – plus ‘ECO’ variants of both. ECO variant of latter provides class-leading 88.3 mpg and only 83 g/km CO2. TCe 90 in ECO guise offers impressive 65.7 mpg and 99 g/km CO2
- Stop&Start standard on TCe 90 and dCi 90. Driver activated ECO mode to improve fuel economy by between 10-15% (standard on Dynamique MediaNav and above)
- UK ordering opens 1 November 2012. Showroom launch 1st February 2013
Following its eagerly-anticipated world debut at the Paris Motor Show just last week, Renault has confirmed pricing and specification for one of the UK’s most loved cars, Clio.
Now in its fourth-generation, the latest version of the 12 million-selling (over one million in the UK) chic supermini boasts an all-new, sensual look on the outside, with a more upmarket feel on the inside. And combined with attractive pricing, plenty of new technology, a wide array of new options and state-of-the-art engines, the French marque is aiming for the top of the hotly contested supermini class when the new model hits showrooms next February. UK ordering for Renault’s striking newcomer, which marks the beginning of its new design direction under the leadership of Laurens Van Den Acker, opens on 1 November 2012.
Breaking with tradition, the new Clio will be available solely in five-door guise, but with a coupé-like silhouette incorporating hidden rear door handles and a sportier profile. To back up its contemporary look, UK models will also be priced to tackle its rivals head on, including an eye-catching entry price of £10,595.
Kicking off the initial four trim level line-up is a new Expression trim level, available with the 1.2 16V 75 engine. Far from being a stripped-out base version though, and in keeping with Renault’s reputation for providing well-equipped models versus the competition, it benefits from a 4x20W radio with Bluetooth and USB connection, Bass Reflex system (enhanced speaker sound quality), driver/passenger/side and curtain airbags, 60/40 split-folding rear seat, cruise control, daytime running lights, ESC, Hill Start Assist, height and reach adjustable steering wheel, electric front windows and door mirrors, keyless entry and ignition, plus speed limiter.
Moving up to Expression+ adds 16” Passion alloy wheels, air conditioning and front fog lights.
The next stage takes in the UK’s likely best-seller, Dynamique MediaNav, which not only ups the equipment stakes, but also the overall sporty feel, both inside and out. Among its highlights are black gloss exterior touches with chrome inserts (doors, boot lid strip and grille) and 16” Passion alloy wheels with a choice of black or grey inserts. The specification tally moves upmarket with the addition of auto lights and wipers, 7” touchscreen with MediaNav incorporating Navteq’s Nav ‘N’ Go satellite navigation, Arkamys radio with Bluetooth and USB and fingertip remote controls, leather steering wheel with gloss black insert and the convenient handsfree keycard.
Rounding off the core range, at least for the time being, until the new GT Line and Renaultsport versions arrive in 2013, are Dynamique S MediaNav versions. Luxury additions to the Clio flagship include a choice of 17” ‘Desire’ alloy wheels (with selection of four different colour inserts), chrome side window surrounds, centre armrest, climate control, electric folding door mirrors, rear electric windows, gloss black interior door handles and rear parking sensors.