FIRST DETAILS OF FAST, FRUGAL AND FEISTY VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GTD
Some 30 years after the original model introduced European car drivers to an intoxicating blend of practicality, high performance and abstemiousness, Volkswagen is readying the latest Golf GTD, which is set to make its debut at the Geneva Motor Show next month.
Back in 1982, the first Golf GTD was revolutionary, being a compact hatchback with sporty tuning, the style of the Golf GTI and low diesel running costs. The new GTD, based on the seventh generation Golf, is the most powerful ever, and like the original it blends performance with fuel-efficiency to make it a great long-distance touring car.
With a six-speed manual gearbox, the Golf GTD, powered by a 2.0-litre common rail turbodiesel producing 184 PS and 380 Nm of torque from 1,750 rpm, consumes just one gallon of fuel every 67.3 miles, making for CO2 emissions of only 109 g/km. With the optional six-speed DSG, fuel consumption is 60.1 mpg (three-door: 119 g/km CO2; five-door: 122 g/km CO2). Acceleration from zero to 62 mph takes just 7.5 seconds, while the top speed is 142 mph.
The Golf GTD comes with smoked LED rear lights with LED licence plate illumination, along with chrome dual tailpipes, 17-inch alloy wheels with 225/45 tyres, side skirts, a rear diffuser, sports suspension and a large roof spoiler.
Distinctive GTD features distinguish the interior: along with tartan sports seats, a black rooflining, sports steering wheel, stainless steel pedals, there is also a GTD-specific gear lever, trim strips and instrument cluster. Comfort is guaranteed thanks to features including progressive steering, white ambience lighting, ‘Climatronic’ climate control, front and rear parking sensors and a winter pack.
The new Golf GTD is available in Germany at an entry-level price of 29,350 euros, and orders begin on 5 March. UK sales are expected to start in April, with deliveries in the summer. Pricing and specification is yet to be confirmed.
Golf GTD – key facts
- Market launch in Europe starting June 2013
- Front transverse engine, 1,968 cc
- Bore/stroke: 81.0/95.5 mm; compression ratio 15.8:1
- Power: 135 kW / 184 PS at 3,500 to 4,000 rpm
- Torque: 380 Nm (280 lbs ft) at 1,750 to 3,250 rpm
- Gearbox / drive: Six-speed manual; optional six-speed DSG / front-wheel drive
- Fuel consumption / CO2 (manual): 67.3 mpg (4.2 l/100 km); 109 g/km CO2
- 0-62 mph 7.5 sec; top speed 142 mph (230 km/h)
- Unladen weight: 1,377 kg (incl. driver [68 kg], luggage [7 kg] and 90% filled fuel tank; calculated according to 92/21/EEC